Monday, July 25, 2016

"Everybody Likes Kung Fu Fighting"

 On the weekends here in Jamaica I have Kung Fu classes. I've enjoyed doing Kung Fu for over a year now and here's what a normal day looks like- 
 Kung Fu practice begins with our first warm up exercise: 10 laps on the stairs up to the third floor of the building- up and back down is one lap. Next, we will then line up in 3 lines; usually 3-4 people are in each line. I’m in front. We start doing frog jumps. I squat and then extend my legs to jump as far as possible to land softly on the balls of my feet. My thighs are already burning as I continue across the parking lot. I look to my sides to see the others who were at the front of the other lines way ahead of me. My jumps are pathetically small. Still I keep on jumping. At least 5 laps later I can barely jump at all. Still I keep attempting to jump. When mercy is shown to the class we get a change of pace, slightly. Now we will do duck walks. Squat as low as possible and then walking/waddling across the same parking lot. I have no idea what’s going on in the minds of bystanders but I don’t dwell on it too long because pain is at the forefront of my mind. Not only are there pains in my legs during this exercise but as we make it to each end we will have to do push-ups.  All this back and forth across the asphalt teaches you to keep your balance because falling flat on your face really doesn’t feel good! (Some times if we are "lucky" we also get to do bear crawls, floor sweeps, and wheelbarrows.) Eventually our warm ups aka: slow and painful deaths are over for the time being. We grab a partner at this point and we’ll begin practicing our kicks, punches, and blocks on each other.  Tired and aching legs make this feel impossible. Speed isn’t a factor, yet. Precision is our goal. Slow movements build muscle memory and muscles in general.  We start by not using our blocks because it helps both you and your partner get the punches and kicks in the right places. Just because they are doing it slowly doesn’t mean that your partner won’t accidentally kick you in the ribs, hard. It’s a relief when you are given the ok to start using your blocks. It’s even cooler to start blocking and then catching your partner off guard with an unanticipated round house kick.
  Saying I’m sweaty at this point feels like an understatement! Saying I’m drenched in sweat and my clothes are all wet from it barely cuts it. By now we are over half way done and the remaining 30-45 minutes will be spent either doing self-defense maneuvers, sparing, or doing forms.  Sparing and self defense are pretty self-explanatory and while waiting my turn I’ll usually be off to the side stretching out my legs. Forms are a series of moves (kicks, punches, and blocks) that are performed at competitions. I am one of 4 that are currently doing the Pyramid Form. This has 28 moves. I know them all by heart, but we are working on perfecting these moves. I get stuck at a point where I pivot into a stance with my right leg bent at a right angle in front of me and my left leg stretched out behind me with my foot flat on the ground. My fault in this move is my left leg isn’t always perfectly straight. It is extremely frustrating to not get it right even though I know what to do in my head. But, in my head, my legs are still pleading for mercy. When we are finished I am filled with a mix of exhaustion, relief, hunger, and thirst. And I walk away on numb spaghetti legs. 
 I have been doing Kung Fu for a while now and at times I will leave feeling sick and I still end up hurting. My legs will hurt. My shoulders will hurt. My knees, ankles, ribs, hips, back-everywhere will hurt!  I have practice on the weekends and then the pain will last well into Wednesday. So why do I submit myself to this torture? Why am I ok with being covered in sweat? Why do I make myself look like a fool waddling across a parking lot where anyone could see me? Why do I push myself, continually? I ask myself these questions all week long especially when I am stretching out my stiff legs. But if you were to ask me right after I finally get home, have drunk a ton of water, and had a cold shower I might say something like “Because if I survived this week I can make it through another practice next week”, or “I know that I will regret it later if I quit now”, or “ because I enjoy exerting myself”. Most importantly I prove to myself each week that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me(Philippians 4:13)

No comments:

Post a Comment